Designed by: Henry Hunter in 1880
Carved by: Bernard Molloy
Originally installed: 1881 as part of the High Altar
Dismantled and removed from the Cathedral in: 1950s
Set upon a base constructed and finished by: Heritage Stone, Tasmania
Designed by: Sidney Rofe
Installed in St Mary's Cathedral: 2022
The tabernacle is set into a canopy of pure white Ross stone, which is the exposition throne of the original High Altar, removed by Archbishop Young in the 1950s as part of the last significant works to the Cathedral’s interior. It was carved in Hobart in 1880 by Bernard Molloy to the design of Henry Hunter.
It now sits upon a new and substantial construction crafted from Mount White sandstone matching the Cathedral’s new altar to a design by architect Sidney Rofe. Weighing almost 2 tonnes the new tabernacle base was constructed and finished by Tasmanian stone masons, Heritage Stone.