top of page

Archbishop Julian Porteous

Archbishop Julian Charles Porteous DD, B. Theol. was born on June 5, 1949, Sydney and baptised in Rose Bay Parish. The eldest of five children, with two brothers and two sisters, Archbishop Julian has family links to Tasmania. His forebears arrived in Tasmania from England in 1853. His great grandfather and great grandmother were both born in Hobart, within one kilometre of St Mary’s Cathedral.  His grandfather was named Manful Charles Hobart Granger.


September 7, 1974

Ordained to the Priesthood

Archbishop Julian entered St Columba’s Seminary, Springwood, in 1968, then continued studies for the priesthood at St Patrick’s College, Manly, from 1971.  He was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Sydney on September 7, 1974.

September 3, 2003

Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney

In July 2003 he was named Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney by Pope St John Paul II and was ordained by Cardinal George Pell at St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney on September 3, 2003.

September 17, 2013

Archbishop of Hobart

Archbishop Julian was installed as Archbishop of Hobart in a Reception and Solemn Mass of Installation at St Mary’s Cathedral in Hobart on September 17, 2013.


Coat of Arms

When Archbishop Julian was appointed as Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney and titular Bishop of Urusi in July 2003, in the tradition of the Church, he adopted personal arms. These arms have been redesigned for his use as Archbishop of Hobart.

The personal arms are divided horizontally. The upper half is charged with a representation of the Holy Spirit derived from the Bernini-designed window above the altar in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. The lower half is charged with the Book of the Word with the letters alpha and omega in red.

Archbishop Julian’s personal arms are accompanied by the arms of the Archdiocese which have been in use since their adoption by Archbishop William Barry in 1937. They have remained unchanged since this time but have been re-rendered. These arms are blazoned with the silver initial “M” on a blue field. The “M” is the initial letter of the name of the Virgin Mother of God which is surmounted by the gold celestial crown of the Queen of Heaven.

Behind the arms is the gold processional cross of an archbishop with its double traverse. The shield is surmounted by the green galero (Roman hat) with ten fiocchi (tassels) appropriate to an archbishop.

Archbishop Julian’s personal arms were designed by Fr Guy Selvester and Richard d’Apice AM KCSG, President of The Australian Heraldry Society, and the full achievement of arms has been illustrated by Sandy Turnbull, also of the Australian Heraldry Society.

Episcopal motto

Archbishop Julian’s episcopal motto is Gratia et Veritas (Grace and Truth).

St John the Evangelist describes the Lord as bringing “grace and truth” (John 1:17). Grace is the work of the Holy Spirit which brings about conversion and the nurturing of faith. Truth is revealed by the Holy Spirit who enlightens the mind, leading us “into all truth” (John 16:13).

Bishop Robert William Willson | 1842 - 1866
Archbishop Daniel Murphy | 1866 - 1907
Archbishop Patrick Delany | 1907 - 1926
Archbishop William Barry | 1926 - 1929
Archbishop William Hayden | 1930 - 1936
Archbishop Justin Daniel Simonds | 1937 - 1942
Archbishop Ernest Victor Tweedy | 1943 - 1955
Archbishop Guilford Clyde Young | 1955 - 1988
Archbishop Eric D'Arcy | 1988 -  1999
Archbishop Adrian Doyle | 1999 - 2013
Archbishop Julian Charles Porteous | 2013 -

Bishop and Archbishops of Hobart

bottom of page